What’s the first thing you grab when you wake up – a cup of tea? Make your first cup of tea count with Ammiji’s pinch of immunity. With the benefits of tulsi, mulethi and brahmi, this is that tonic you need daily.
Everything that we need to build up a healthy and strong immune system resides in our gardens and kitchens. Herbs and spices are a powerhouse of essential nutrients that react in wonderful ways inside our bodies. Here, we have taken the best of herbs, added a few magical spices and come up with the curative avatar of Ammiji’s chai masala. A pinch in your daily cuppa will be your daily immunity booster!
Tulsi or holy basil is that quintessential herb that all of us have in our gardens. It has terrific anti-inflammatory properties and works to reduce inflammation in complicated diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and heart disease. It’s a powerful weapon against the common cold and flu. It gently works to build up your resistance to ailments.
Brahmi is the herb of the sages – accredited for supplying them with wisdom, longevity and health. It works to fight a number of diseases and has anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties. It is a rich source of antioxidants.
Mulethi or licorice root is well-known for keeping the respiratory tract healthy. It is anti-inflammatory and boosts immunity and digestion both. It also eases menopausal symptoms in women.
These three herbs along with our base of spices gives this chai masala a distinct earthy flavor. Add a pinch to your daily cuppa, breathe in the terrific fragrance and rest assured that your body is well taken care of.
Winter – that utterly gorgeous and beautifully perplexing season that calls out to something deep within our soul. It’s the season for bundling up in layers to ward off the chill. It’s the season for baring your face to bonfires. It’s the season for gloriously rich food and an abundance of produce. It’s the season of plenty, yet of starkness. It’s the season of sunny afternoons and dark, still evenings.
And it’s the season of ills.
The wildly fluctuating weather – sunny one minute, stormy the next – can play havoc on our bodies, laying us susceptible to the chills and bringing our natural immunity down. And that’s when home remedies come in – all the little nuskas and totkas that our grandmothers did to keep us warm and safe. Ammiji’s Winter Comfort is one such nuska.
The benefits of turmeric are widely documented. Pair that with magical home-ground dried ginger, throw in some herbs like tulsi, brahmi and ashwagandha and season the lot with spices which have their own benefits – and you’ve got a magical concoction, with manifold benefits.Here’s the list of ingredients and the effect each one of them will have on your body:
- Turmeric: Ayurveda has acknowledged the medicinal properties of turmeric for centuries, and the western world is waking up to its benefits too now. The golden spice, as it is called, it contains curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Remember the haldi-doodh you had as a kid? It was more for haldi than for milk. What’s more – turmeric is also an anti-depressant and promotes a sense of well-being.
- Ginger: Ginger reduces inflammation, aids digestion, soothes the stomach and is particularly good for relieving a cold or cough. Do you really need another reason? We’ll give you one. Studies show that regular consumption of ginger also brings down the risk of cancer.
- Jaggery – This natural sugar is a powerhouse of energy, sorely required in the colder months. It is also full of antioxidants and is a great in clearing the lungs of toxins, making it perfect to combat the effect of pollution on the body.
- Tulsi – Remember your mother or grandmother telling you to have aadrak-tulsiwaali chai when you sneezed a couple of times? Well, tulsi is a known anti-allergen and fights off all sorts of infections. It is also good for keeping the respiratory tract healthy and clear.
- Ashwagandha – Nowadays, quite a few fitness trainers recommend adding an ashwagandha supplement to your daily routine. This ancient Indian herb is a known vitality booster – increasing stamina, stabilizing moods and giving your brain a boost. It’s also great for reproductive health for men as well as women.
- Brahmi – Again, anti-inflammatory, chock-full of antioxidants. Brahmi is a great tonic for the mind – it increase mental agility and prevents the onset of age-related mental conditions.
- Black pepper: Kali mirchi is antibacterial and good for the digestive system. The piperine in it enhances your body’s ability to absorb nutrients – especially curcumin in turmeric – adequately.
- Cinnamon –This wonder spice regulates blood sugar levels and is full of anti-oxidants. It works steadily to build up your immunity.
- Green cardamom – Elaichi is good for the respiratory system and has essential nutrients.
- Star anise – This fragrant spice is not only good for alleviating a cold, but is also helpful in settling a stomach.
- Ajwain – This is that easily available, ever-present spice in our kitchens that has many benefits. It can treat a stomach ache, the common cold and even give you relief from pain.
Ammiji’s Winter Comfort is not only extremely beneficial but is also fragrantly refreshing. Here’s how to brew it:
In water – Add 1 teaspoon to 2 cups water. Boil till it reduces to 1 cup. Strain, add 1 teaspoon honey, and drink.
In milk – Add 1 teaspoon per cup. Boil for 2-3 minutes. Strain, add honey to taste and drink.
The monsoon is here. And as the earth goes from a scorching, dusty ochre to a wet, iridescent emerald, we feel the need for touching base with all that’s warm, nourishing and energizing. Because summers are cruel in the subcontinent, and the rains bring with it the promise of brief intervals of respite.
But the monsoon also brings with it its own host of problems – problems that we can forget about while the raindrops cool us down, but which stare us in the face when the sun shows up again. Minor colds, nagging coughs, infections and more dangerous diseases mushroom out with the first touch of rain.
What you need then is natural immunity. And Ammiji’s Monsoon Magic offers you just that. Derived from ancient Ayurvedic wisdom, this mix of natural ingredients is the perfect tonic for the monsoon. The main ingredient of this tisane is Giloy – that wonder plant that in Sanskrit is referred to as ‘Amrita’ – the root of immortality. Giloy is a creeper that often grows on neem trees and in the past few years it has gained acclaim for being a successful combatant to the effects of dengue and chikangunya. Dried stems of the Giloy plant are powdered at home and then mixed with other ingredients to give you a concoction that is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-ageing.
So, cuddle up near a window when it’s raining outside and pour yourself a cup of Monsoon Magic. Watch the magic of the rain while you feel the warmth of Ammiji spread inside. (P.S. A good book and great music are the best accompaniments for this set-up;))
Ingredients and their Benefits:
Giloy – Also known as Guduchi, Giloy provides a tremendous boost to your immune system. It contains various antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body and have anti-ageing properties. It has a soothing effect on both the respiratory system and the digestive system. Apart from this, Giloy also reduces stress and anxiety and has been shown to be an effective supplement in the treatment of both diabetes and arthritis.
Turmeric – Who hasn’t heard about the various benefits of good, ol’ haldi? Turmeric is now being touted as a superfood the world over, but we Indians have known of its miraculous properties for centuries. And that’s why turmeric is used in so extensively in our cooking and homemade remedies. It has magical medicinal properties and when combined with Giloy, will have a miraculous effect on your system.
Lemongrass – Lemongrass is probably what a little corner of heaven smells like. Apart from its soothing fragrance, lemongrass relieves anxiety and soothes the digestive system. It is also known to lower cholesterol and boost the production of red blood cells in the body. It is a powerful herb to fight minor infections.
Tulsi/Holy Basil – Tulsi is revered in India. It is one of the most magical herbs we have and is well known for its effectiveness in curing cold and cough. It also combats minor aches and pains. Again, it is anti-inflammatory and contains powerful anti-oxidants.
Ashwagandha – Ayurvedic tomes are full of praises for this wonder drug. It not only increases vitality, but also energizes your entire system. It is anti-cancer properties too.
Amla – Indian gooseberry, that powerhouse of Vitamin C, plays a vital role in boosting your immunity. It is also effective in aiding digestion and cools your digestive system down. Amla is also a well-known anti-ageing agent.
Apart from these main ingredients, Ammiji’s Monsoon Magic also contains Fennel, Black Pepper, Ginger, Green Cardamom, Cinnamon, Star Anise and Jaggery. Each of them play an important role in gearing your body up to deal with this fickle season’s vagaries.
How to Brew:
Add 1 heaped teaspoon to about 1 and a half cups of water. Put the pan to boil and let it boil till water has reduced to a little less than a cup. Strain and drink in the warmth. You can also add some raw honey if you like your tisane a little sweeter.
Food is that thread that brings it all together. It doesn’t matter what season it is, or how small an occasion it is – when you have good food on the table, you’re more blessed than you realize. Food is happiness – it’s the delightful dash and dot at the end of an exclamation. It has the power to create good memories or to help obliterate bad ones. Food is life. And when you give the gift of food, you’re gifting pure joy.
Keeping that in mind, we’ve curated a set of Gift Boxes for you. Give them as gifts, or order a combination for yourself to save money! Each box will contain 4 jars, filled with Ammiji’s delicious goodness. And the gift box itself is an elegant, reusable box made of solid wood that will last you a long time and be useful in myriad ways.
Go on. Gift joy 🙂
Ammiji’s Immunity Box is that simultaneous gift of love and health. Nothing could be more meaningful in the current scenario than gifting a shot of good health to a loved one. Make your gift count – show them how much you care about them with this box of natural remedies. This Gift Box contains the following:
- Chai Masala – Immunity: (75 gm) Ammiji’s famous Chai Masala, with powerful immuno-boosting herbs. Fragrant and delicious.
- Chyawanprash: (200 gm) The age-old Ayurvedic tonic, made at home with jaggery, figs and dates.
- Immunity Kaadha: (90 gm) The catch-drink right now. Specially targets the respiratory system. One of our best-sellers.
- Amla Chutney: (200 gm) Your daily dose of Vitamin C, in a lip-smackin’ avatar.